The Hydrobiological Station of Rodos is located in the northern part of the island and was constructed during 1934-1396, initiating its activities in 1937. In 1945 it was incorporated as a peripheral station of the Greek Hydrobiological Institute under the supervision of the Athens Academy.
Is has been operating as an Aquarium-museum and research unit since 1963. It belong to the National Centre for Marine Research (NCMR) which is developing its research activities in oceanography, fisheries and inland waters corresponding institutes. The NCMR falls under the supervision of the General Secretariat of Research and Technology belonging to the Ministry of Development.